Today nearly a quarter of New Zealanders hold Bonus Bonds and the Bonus Bonds Trust is New Zealand's largest retail unit trust.
Bonus Bonds was founded in 1970 and has operated in the form of a unit trust since 1990. When bondholders purchase Bonus Bonds, their money is collected together with the money from all other bondholders and held in trust. Called the Bonus Bonds Trust, the Trust is supervised by the Trustee Executors Limited, an independent corporate trustee.
Since 1970 (at August 2014) Bonus Bonds have paid out more than $62 Million prizes totalling more than $2.1 Billion.
A $1 MILLION grand prize is paid to one winning bondholder each month along with one prize of $100,000, one prize of $50,000 plus multiple prizes of $5,000, $500, $100, $50 and $20.
The mix of major prizes in a month may vary however the minimum number of major prizes will be as per the prize structure above.
- Bonus Bonds differ from most other savings products in that the income earned from investing all bondholders' funds is placed in a prize pool and paid as tax-free cash prizes in each monthly prize draw.
- Currently, the chance of each Bonus Bond winning a prize ranges from between 1 in 14,000 and 1 in 20,000.
- Bonus Bonds winning numbers are drawn at random by 'Elsie', a computer that used to fill a small room in 1970, but is now a far less spectacular (but much more user-friendly), desktop computer.
- Because prizes are tax-free, bondholders do not need to declare Bonus Bonds prize winnings in their tax returns.
- Bonus Bonds are first eligible for the monthly prize draws when you've held them for one complete calendar month following their purchase date. For example, if you buy Bonus Bonds anytime during March, they will be eligible for the prize draws from May onwards. A minimum purchase of $20 applies.
- The Bonus Bonds investment portfolio is rated by Standard & Poor’s, with full details of the current rating available at www.bonusbonds.co.nz and in the Bonus Bonds registered prospectus.
Bonus Bonds are units in the Bonus Bonds Trust and are not deposits or other liabilities of ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited (ANZ) or Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (together the ANZ Group). ANZ Group does not stand behind or guarantee the Bonus Bonds Trust. Investments are subject to investment risk, including possible delays in repayment, and loss of income and principal invested. ANZ Group will not be liable to you for the capital value or performance of your investment. In any month, the number of Bonus Bonds prizes and total payout are subject to change. ANZ Investment Services (New Zealand) Limited is the manager of the Bonus Bonds Trust. ANZ New Zealand Investments Limited is the investment manager of the Bonus Bonds Trust, and ANZ is a distributor of units in the Bonus Bonds Trust. Bonus Bonds investment portfolio is rated by Standard & Poor's, with full details of the current fund credit rating available on bonusbonds.co.nz and in the Bonus Bonds registered prospectus. A copy of the registered Prospectus and the Bonus Bonds Terms and Conditions are available on bonusbonds.co.nz, or at any ANZ branch.