“ANZ Contactless” payment technology is available on ANZ credit and Visa Debit cards, allowing you to pay for smaller purchases (NZ$80 or less in New Zealand but transaction limits may vary overseas) without swiping, inserting, signing, or entering a PIN at any participating merchant.
Simply wave your card over the MasterCard PayPass or Visa Paywave reader and you’re done! When using your ANZ credit or debit card, Contactless transactions are charged to your card account ("credit" for credit cards and your nominated "fast cash" account for Visa Debit).
Unlike some other payment methods, you have full control of the card because your card never leaves your hand, and round-the-clock monitoring by our proactive ANZ Fraud Monitoring system also helps protect your card.
You’ll also be covered by MasterCard and Visa's Zero Liability* protection should fraudulent transactions occur, provided you haven’t contributed to the loss in any way and you notify us that your card has been lost or stolen within a reasonable time.
*Conditions and exceptions apply. For further details, see MasterCard Zero Liability, Visa Zero Liability and the ANZ credit card Conditions of Use. Lending criteria, terms, conditions and fees apply to all ANZ credit cards.
You can use your ANZ Contactless credit or debit card at any PayPass or Paywave merchant terminal – simply follow the steps below.
Look for the MasterCard PayPass or Visa Paywave logo on the reader.
Once the merchant has entered the amount to pay, follow the on-screen prompts and tap your card against the contactless reader.
Wait until the reader beeps and the lights illuminate and then remove your card and you’re done. If you’d like a receipt then simply request one.
You can use your ANZ Contactless card at thousands of locations all around the world. So look out for this contactless symbol and the MasterCard PayPass or Visa Paywave symbol.
Because it uses secure encryption technology and the same, reliable payment network as regular card transactions ANZ Contactless transactions are just as secure as all other transactions using your ANZ credit and debit cards.
- You are in control – your card never leaves your hand to make a payment.
- No accidental payments – your card must be extremely close to the reader at checkout to work.
- ANZ Contactless cards are designed so information obtained by an unauthorised reader can not be used to counterfeit your card, or used for internet or over the phone purchases.
- Not billed twice - even if you waved the card over more than once at the checkout, you'll only get billed once for your purchase.
- Our proactive ANZ Fraud monitoring system notices unusual purchasing activity on your ANZ credit or debit card account. If unusual activity is detected, our ANZ Fraud team will block the card and contact you to check everything is in order.
- Protected by MasterCard and Visa’s Zero Liability*protection. Provided you haven’t contributed to the loss in any way and you notify us that your card has been lost or stolen within a reasonable time, you won’t be liable for unathorised transactions.
- What is ANZ Contactless?
- What are the benefits of ANZ Contactless?
- How do I know if a retailer accepts ANZ Contactless?
- How close does my card need to be to the reader?
- Is there a limit on the value of goods I can purchase using ANZ Contactless?
- Are there any fees for using ANZ Contactless?
- Will I receive a receipt for my ANZ Contactless transactions?
- How do I know when a payment has been made?
- Could I unknowingly make a purchase as I walk past the reader?
- How do I know that my ANZ Contactless transaction is secure?
- Can I use my card at retailers that accept MasterCard or Visa but don't have MasterCard PayPass or Visa Paywave terminals?
- Do I need to select credit, savings, or cheque when I pay using ANZ Contactless?
- Can I insert or swipe my card for transactions under $80?
- Can I use ANZ Contactless for transactions overseas?
- How will ANZ Contactless transactions display on my statement?
ANZ Contactless is a new, contactless way to pay that securely transmits purchase information via a computer chip and tiny antenna embedded in your card.
Can I use my card at retailers that accept MasterCard or Visa but don't have MasterCard PayPass or Visa Paywave terminals?
You need Adobe Reader to view PDF files. You can download Adobe Reader free of charge.