The key to selling your house for the best price is presenting it in the best possible light.
First impressions count
- The front of your property is what potential buyers see first - does it seem attractive from the footpath? Are there any obvious problems that could be easily remedied like flaking paint?
- Is the front of your house tidy and inviting? Are the lawns mowed, the paths swept, the garden weeded and any rubbish cleared away? Consider planting some flowers or shrubs for instant landscaping appeal.
- Make sure the entranceway and hallway are clean, clear and uncluttered.
Spend money wisely
Some people spend a significant amount of money on home improvements when they’re selling their house – but it may not always be a good investment. Cosmetic improvements such as touching up paintwork or planting flowers or shrubs at the front of the house will usually be worth the expense. While major renovations may make your home more saleable, they may not necessarily make it more valuable – which means you may not always recover the costs when you sell your house.
Tips for open homes
Open homes are a popular way to generate interest in your property. Here are some ways to get the best from them.
- Make sure your house is tidy and uncluttered throughout. Store away any unnecessary clutter if necessary.
- Put any rubbish out.
- Put vases of fresh flowers in the main rooms.
- Leave lights on in dark areas or rooms.
- Open all curtains and blinds.
- Make sure the house is warm in winter.
- Leave some windows open in the summer.
- Make sure your house has a pleasant aroma (e.g. grind or roast some coffee beans).
- Make sure pets are outside or away from your home.
For more information or to apply for an ANZ Home Loan:
Contact an ANZ Mobile Mortgage Manager
Call 0800 ANZ HOME (0800 269 4663)
Visit your nearest ANZ branch
For the ANZ First Home package, you need an ANZ everyday account with your salary, wages or business income direct credited and an ANZ Serious Saver account. ANZ lending criteria, terms and conditions and fees apply to all loans.
A copy of the Reserve Bank Disclosure Statement published by ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited may be obtained on request from any ANZ branch.
This material is for information purposes only. Its content is intended to be of a general nature, does not take into account your financial situation or goals, and is not a personalised financial adviser service under the Financial Advisers Act 2008. It is recommended you seek advice from a financial adviser which takes into account your individual circumstances before you acquire a financial product. If you wish to consult one of ANZ's financial advisers, please contact us on 0800 269 296.
You need Adobe Reader to view PDF files. You can download Adobe Reader free of charge.