Irrigation provides a significant potential economic benefit to New Zealand – but to date, this benefit has been largely untapped. Despite generally having vast quantities of water at our disposal, most of it is not harnessed for any productive use. For example, in Canterbury approximately 90% of the total water catchment is simply left to run into the ocean. However, in 2011 the Government introduced a water strategy to rectify this situation. As a result 14 major irrigation schemes are in development that will irrigate 347,000 hectares (270,000 of these in Canterbury alone).
ANZ can help you improve the profitability of your farming business through sustainable water management. We have a lengthy track record in the irrigation sector, including a dedicated ANZ Commercial Irrigation team. They can work with your local Rural Manager to help you identify the best on and off-farm irrigation solution for your farm and region, and assist you with developing it through:
- Specialist lending: gain access to long term funding solutions to assist with scheme development, enhancement and expansion.
- Project financing expertise: larger, more complex developments can be financed through tailored lending solutions.
- Interest rate risk management: gain access to tools and strategies to help you manage interest rate risk.
- Trade finance expertise: our team of trade specialists can provide assistance with importing irrigation scheme materials and components for projects.
- Transactional banking expertise: our transactional banking team can develop a tailored banking package to help save you time and money on your day-to-day banking activities.
Our support for irrigation
Apart from providing expertise and finance for on and off-farm irrigation, ANZ is also heavily involved in activities which seek to build awareness and increase education in this area.
- ANZ Business of Farming – Irrigation workshops.
The ANZ Business of Farming – Irrigation workshops bring together local irrigation experts and industry partners to discuss the opportunities and benefits irrigation can offer your rural business.These workshops are being held regularly throughout the country. For more information, or to register for a workshop in your region, please contact your Rural Manager or complete our enquiry form.
- Irrigation New Zealand Conference
ANZ is the Principal Sponsor of this biennial conference, which is run by Irrigation New Zealand. As the leading representative body for New Zealand’s irrigation sector, Irrigation New Zealand has 3,600 members and an engagement programme that reaches farmers, politicians, researchers, water industry participants and the public.
For more information on how ANZ can help you with your irrigation project, however big or small,
Find a Rural specialist in your area.
6am to midnight, available 7 days a week
Have a quick question? Enquiring online is easy.