The ANZ Truckometer is a set of two economic indicators derived using traffic volume data from around the country. Traffic flows are a real time and real-world proxy for economic activity - particularly for the New Zealand economy, where a large proportion of freight is moved by road. It represents an extremely timely barometer of economic momentum. The ANZ Heavy Traffic Index shows a strong contemporaneous relationship to GDP, while the ANZ Light Traffic Index has a six month lead on activity as measured by GDP. Using statistical techniques we optimise the ANZ Truckometer indexes to map to quarterly GDP growth.
- Fast cars - July 2016 (PDF 168kB)
- Touching the brake? - June 2016 (PDF 188kB)
- Switchback - May 2016 (PDF 192kB)
- Marching on - April 2016 (PDF 184kB)
- Back to work - March 2016 (PDF 188kB)
- Taking a breather - February 2016 (PDF 188kB)
- No holiday for truckies - January 2016 (PDF 188kB)
- Traffic jam - December 2015 (PDF 184kB)
- Back in business - November 2015 (PDF 188kB)
- Foot back on the gas? - October 2015 (PDF 188kB)
- Potholes - September 2015 (PDF 188kB)
- Flat tyre - August 2015 (PDF 184kB)
- Warning: dip ahead - July 2015 (PDF 184kB)
- Touching the brakes - June 2015 (PDF 188kB)
- Easing off the accelerator - May 2015 (PDF 188kB)
- Road trip - April 2015 (PDF 188kB)
- Rounding the straight - March 2015 (PDF 184kB)
- On a roll - February 2015 (PDF 184kB)
- Swings and roundabouts - January 2015 (PDF 184kB)
For archived articles or any information on how ANZ can support your business, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You need Adobe Reader to view PDF files. You can download Adobe Reader free of charge.