When it comes to choosing a product or provider, your first option is not always the best option. In fact, reading the terms and conditions is sometimes the only way to truly understand all the cost differences between different products and plans. Sometimes you might find a better deal for the same product or service – so it’s worth taking the time to check it out.
Shopping around doesn’t just apply to one-off purchases like a new toaster or new tyres for your car. You can also save a lot of money by shopping around for ongoing services. Here are something products and providers you may want to take a look at:
- Mobile phone plan
- Electricity or gas provider
- Streaming subscriptions and Internet plans
- Gym memberships.
Here are some basics to keep in mind when you’re comparing offers:
- Does that contract offer a fixed rate and finite period?
- What will it cost to change providers?
- Can your new plan be cancelled if you change your mind?
- It may be cheaper, but is it the same or better?
- Have your needs changed since you signed up? Can you tweak your plan than cancel it?
Found a better offer from a competitor? Before you do jump ship, let your current provider know about the offer and your intention to move. They may be able to match it, or even go one better.