Changes to foreign cheques

From 1 March 2024, we’ll no longer accept foreign cheques of any currency for deposit into ANZ accounts. Here’s some information about what you need to do if you use foreign cheques.

What you need to do

  • If you’re expecting a foreign cheque, it’s important to contact the person or company sending you the foreign cheque now to make other arrangements. 
  • A fast and secure alternative to foreign cheques is to have the money sent to your ANZ account via overseas electronic payment. 
  • If the person or company issuing the cheque doesn’t have the option for overseas electronic payment, you’ll need to discuss your options with them directly. 

If you use foreign cheques to send money between your own overseas bank account and ANZ account:

  • Contact your overseas bank and see if they have an option to send overseas electronic payments to your ANZ account. 
  • You may be able to register for internet banking or mobile banking with your overseas bank to send this money electronically.

What to provide to receive overseas electronic payments

To receive an overseas payment, you’ll need to provide the following information to the person or company making the payment to you:

  • Your account number
  • Your account name
  • Your residential address listed on the account
  • ANZ's full beneficiary bank name: ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited
  • ANZ's SWIFT code: ANZBNZ22 (also known as a Bank Identifier Code or BIC     
    Note: If the other party requires an 11-digit SWIFT, use ANZBNZ22XXX


  • Our inward payment fee for receiving an overseas electronic payment is NZD15 and we waive this fee if the payment value is under NZD300.
  • Other account fees and charges may apply depending on the type of account, see our rates, fees and agreements page.

Currently for foreign cheque deposits, there’s a NZD15 fee per deposit and we only waive this fee if the payment value is under NZD75.

Types of foreign cheques

Depending on the type of foreign cheque you receive, here’s some other useful information that may help.

Government pension cheques

You may be able to register online with the pension scheme to receive your pension electronically. Contact your provider to find out more. 

Other pension provider cheques

Contact your provider to discuss alternate options which may include receiving your payment electronically. 

Share and dividend cheques

You may be able to register online to receive payments electronically, or alternatively contact your sharebroker to understand what other options are available.

Tax cheques

If the foreign government department will only provide a cheque, contact your tax adviser to understand what other options are available.

We’re here to help

Call or visit a branch if you need help getting ready ahead of these changes on 1 March 2024.

From overseas: +64 4 470 3142

You might be interested in