skip to log on skip to main content

Contribution options

Whether you're employed, self-employed or not working, it's easy to make contributions to your KiwiSaver account. 


What are the options?

If you're an employee (including self-employed people who have PAYE deducted from their income):

If you're not an employee (e.g. self-employed and contractors who don't have PAYE deducted from their income, not working or receiving a benefit): 

Employee contributions

If you’re employed, you can choose to contribute 3%, 4%, 6%, 8% or 10% of your before-tax salary or wages. Your employer will automatically deduct your contributions from your pay. If you don’t choose a contribution rate, your contributions will be deducted at the minimum rate of 3%.

Changing your contribution rate

You can change your contribution rate once every three months (unless your employer agrees to let you change more often). Changing your contribution rate is simple - download and complete a KiwiSaver deduction form from the Inland Revenue website and give it to your employer. 

Employer contributions

If you’re making KiwiSaver contributions, your employer also has to contribute to your KiwiSaver account unless you’re under 18, eligible for a retirement withdrawal (generally when you become eligible for NZ Superannuation), or have made a life-shortening congenital conditions withdrawal.

How much does your employer contribute?

Your employer must contribute at least 3% of your before-tax salary or wages.

The employer contribution must be paid on top of your salary or wages, unless you have a total remuneration package which includes the employer contribution. If you’re unsure, check with your employer.

Voluntary contributions

You can make regular or one-off voluntary contributions at any time.

Please note, contributions to your KiwiSaver account can’t be reversed.

If you have other ANZ transaction accounts, you can: 

  • Transfer funds to your KiwiSaver account directy via ANZ Internet Banking, goMoney or Phone Banking

Alternatively, you can:

  • Set up a regular direct debit:

  • Set up a bill paymentdisclaimer or automatic paymentdisclaimer
    Select 'OneAnswer KiwiSaver Scheme' from the Bill Payee list on your internet banking, or make your payment to: 

    OneAnswer KiwiSaver Clearing Account
  • Pay directly to IRDdisclaimer
    You can pay directly to Inland Revenue via your internet banking - using the 'pay tax' option.

It will usually take up to five business days for a lump sum contribution to reach your KiwiSaver account. 

Suspending your contributions

If you’re making employee contributions, you can apply to suspend them for between three months to 1 year. This is called a ‘savings suspension’.

Who can apply?

You can apply for a savings suspension from 12 months after the date your first contribution was paid to Inland Revenue (unless you’re in financial hardship). You don’t need to give a reason.

However, if you’re experiencing financial hardship you can apply earlier. This is known as an ‘early savings suspension’ and you’ll need to provide evidence of financial hardship for reasons outside your control.

How long can you suspend contributions for?

You can apply to suspend your contributions for between three months and 1 year.

What happens to my employer contributions?

Your employer is not required to make employer contributions while you’re on a savings suspension.

How often can I apply for a savings suspension?

You can apply to suspend your employee contributions as often as you like. However don’t forget that each savings suspension can affect how much savings you’ll have when you retire.

How do I apply?

Visit Inland Revenue's KiwiSaver site to find out more about applying for a savings suspension. 

What's next?

ANZ New Zealand Investments Limited ('ANZ Investments') is the issuer and manager of the OneAnswer KiwiSaver Scheme. Important information is available under terms & conditions. Download the guide and product disclosure statement.

This material is for information purposes only. We recommend seeking financial advice about your situation and goals. Talk to your financial adviser, or call us on 0800 736 034 and we can put you in contact with one.

Include the following information with your payment, otherwise we won't be able to credit your payment to the correct account: 

  • Your surname
  • Your date of birth (DDMMYYYY)
  • Your investor number or ANZ customer number or IRD number.