If someone gets your personal information, they can use it to pretend to be you. They could get credit in your name, access your funds and even open bank accounts, all without your authorisation.
Examples of how people can get your personal information:
- Pretending to be from a trusted organisation like your bank, a government agency or the Police
- Stealing your mail
- Going through your rubbish or recycling to find documents
- Phishing scams, such as emails or text messages that trick you into sharing personal or bank details
- Copying your social media account to make a fake profile and contacting your friends list
- A data breach at an organisation, or someone saying there’s been a data breach as an attempt to gain your personal information.