Withdrawing your savings

What are your options?

When can you make withdrawals?

KiwiSaver is designed as a long-term investment to help you save for your retirement. That's why generally, your money is locked away until you're 65. However you may also be able to withdraw funds:

  • To help buy your first home.
  • If you're moving permanently to a different country.
  • If you're experiencing significant financial hardship.
  • If you have a serious illness.
  • If you have a life-shortening congenital condition.

Here you'll find information about each of these options. 

When you reach 65 years of age

When you turn 65, you can usually make withdrawals from your KiwiSaver account.

If you first joined KiwiSaver (or a complying superannuation fund) before 1 July 2019, a five-year membership requirement also usually applies before you can begin withdrawing your KiwiSaver savings.

You can opt out of the five-year membership requirement by making a retirement withdrawal. If you opt out, you’ll no longer be eligible to receive any Government contributions and your employer can stop their contributions.

Remember you don’t need to withdraw your savings as soon as you turn 65. You can keep them in your account, working for you, until you need them. The choice is yours.

How to make withdrawals

To make regular, partial or full withdrawals, simply download and complete a retirement withdrawal form, and return it to us with certified identification and proof of residential address – see the form for details of what’s required. (You’ll only need to complete the statutory declaration and provide certified identification the first time you make a withdrawal.)

Please note that withdrawals can take up to 15 working days to process. We’ll update you on the progress of your application.

Buying your first home

If you’ve been a member of KiwiSaver or a complying superannuation scheme for at least three years, you may be able to withdraw some of your money to put towards buying your first home, or land to build your first home on.

Here you’ll find how KiwiSaver can help you get into your first home, who is eligible and how much you can withdraw. You can also find out if you’re eligible for Housing New Zealand’s First Home grant.

To apply for a first home withdrawal

Just complete our simple online form and we’ll be in touch. Or download, complete and return a copy of the KiwiSaver first home withdrawal application form.

Moving to another country

If you’re moving overseas permanently, you may be able to take your KiwiSaver savings with you.

Moving to other countries

If you move permanently to a country other than Australia, you can withdraw your funds after you’ve been overseas for at least one year. Please note that you can’t withdraw:

  • any Australian sourced funds (e.g. if you’ve transferred money from an Australian super scheme to your KiwiSaver account), or
  • any Government contributions you’ve received (these will be returned to the Government).

To apply, download and complete our permanent emigration withdrawal form. You’ll need to show evidence that you’ve permanently left New Zealand and are living overseas, and complete a statutory declaration – see the form for more details.

If you’re experiencing significant financial hardship

You can apply for an early withdrawal if you’re suffering significant financial hardship – for example, if you can’t meet essential living and/or medical costs.

For more information on the eligibility criteria and to apply, see our KiwiSaver significant financial hardship withdrawal guide.

If you have a serious illness

You can apply for an early withdrawal if you have a serious illness. Serious illness means an injury, illness or disability that has you:

  • totally and permanently unable to work at a job that you’re suited to because of your education, training or experience, or
  • at serious risk of dying very soon.

You’ll need a declaration from a registered medical practitioner and you’ll also need to make a statutory declaration. For more information and to apply, see our serious illness application form.

If you have a life-shortening congenital condition

You may be able to make an early withdrawal if you were born with a condition that is expected to reduce life expectancy below 65.

You’ll need a medical certificate from a registered medical practitioner and you’ll also need to make a statutory declaration. For more information and to apply, see our Life-Shortening Congenital Conditions Withdrawal Guide and Withdrawal Form.

The supervisor will determine whether you’re eligible for a life-shortening congenital conditions withdrawal.

If you make a life-shortening congenital conditions withdrawal you won’t be eligible for any Government contributions and your employer can stop their contributions.

For more information about withdrawal options

See the guide and product disclosure statement for the OneAnswer KiwiSaver Scheme.


From overseas: +64 9 356 4000

Important information

ANZ New Zealand Investments Limited ('ANZ Investments') is the issuer and manager of the OneAnswer KiwiSaver Scheme. Important information is available under terms and conditions. Download the guide and product disclosure statement.

This material is for information purposes only. We recommend seeking financial advice about your situation and goals before getting a financial product.