skip to log on skip to main content
VoiceOver users please use the tab key when navigating expanded menus

When can you make withdrawals?

KiwiSaver is designed as a long-term investment to help you save for your retirement. That's why generally, your money is locked away until you're 65. However you may also be able to withdraw funds:

When you reach 65 years of age

You can usually start withdrawing from your KiwiSaver account when you turn 65. 

If you joined KiwiSaver or a complying superannuation fund before 1 July 2019, you may be subject to a five-year membership requirement before you can start making withdrawals.

Once you turn 65, you can opt out of this ‘lock-in’ period by making a retirement withdrawal. However, it’s important to note that opting out means you’ll no longer be able to get Government contributions, and your employer can also stop their contributions.

Remember you don’t need to withdraw your savings as soon as you turn 65. You can keep them in your account, working for you, until you need them. The choice is yours.

If you’ve turned 65 (or you’re about to), congratulations on reaching this great milestone!

New Zealanders are typically living longer so it’s important to make sure your savings will support you throughout your retirement. Before you make any big financial decisions, we recommend you speak to a financial adviser to help you get the best from your savings. If you’d like some help, ANZ’s financial advisers can provide free advice tailored to your individual situation.

It’s also important to keep your money safe. Unfortunately, we’re seeing a rise in scammers trying to get their hands on retirees’ hard-earned money. They can be very clever and persuasive, but remember if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. The best way to protect your savings is to be aware – more about keeping your money safe.

Find out more about your options in retirement.

How to make withdrawals

To make your first retirement withdrawal, simply download and complete a Retirement Withdrawal Form, and return it to us with certified identification and proof of residential address – see the form for details of what’s required. (You’ll only need to complete the statutory declaration and provide certified identification the first time you make a withdrawal.)

Please note that withdrawals can take up to 10 working days to process. We’ll update you on the progress of your application.

Download a Retirement Withdrawal Form


To make a subsequent retirement withdrawal, or to amend your regular withdrawal, simply download and complete a Subsequent Retirement Withdrawal Form.

Download a Subsequent Retirement Withdrawal Form

Buying your first home

If you’ve been a member of KiwiSaver or a complying superannuation scheme for at least three years, you may be able to withdraw some of your money to put towards buying your first home, or land to build your first home on.

Find out more about using KiwiSaver to buy your first home

Here you’ll find how KiwiSaver can help you get into your first home, who is eligible and how much you can withdraw. You can also find out if you’re eligible for Housing New Zealand’s First Home grant.

Learn more

To apply for a first home withdrawal:

Just complete our simple online form and we’ll be in touch. Or download, complete and return a copy of the KiwiSaver First Home Withdrawal application form.

Apply for a first home withdrawal

Moving to another country

If you’re moving overseas permanently, you may be able to take your KiwiSaver savings with you.

Moving to Australia

If you move to Australia permanently, you may be able to transfer your KiwiSaver savings to an Australian complying superannuation scheme.

Find out more about moving to Australia

Moving to other countries

If you move permanently to a country other than Australia, you can withdraw your funds after you’ve been overseas for at least one year. Please note that you can’t withdraw:

  • any Australian sourced funds (e.g. if you’ve transferred money from an Australian super scheme to your KiwiSaver account), or
  • any Government contributions you’ve received (these will be returned to the Government).

To apply, download and complete our Permanent Emigration Withdrawal Form. You’ll need to show evidence that you’ve permanently left New Zealand and are living overseas, and complete a statutory declaration – see the form for more details.

Download a Permanent Emigration Withdrawal Form

If you’re experiencing significant financial hardship

You can apply for an early withdrawal if you’re suffering significant financial hardship – for example, if you can’t meet essential living and/or medical costs.

If you don’t meet the eligibility criteria, or want to explore other options, find out how ANZ can help with financial difficulties.

If you have a serious illness

You can apply for an early withdrawal if you have a serious illness. Serious illness means an injury, illness or disability that has you:

  • totally and permanently unable to work at a job that you’re suited to because of your education, training or experience, or
  • at serious risk of dying very soon.

You’ll need a declaration from a registered medical practitioner and you’ll also need to make a statutory declaration. For more information and to apply, see our Serious Illness Application Form.


If you have a life-shortening congenital condition

You may be able to make an early withdrawal if you were born with a condition that is expected to reduce life expectancy below 65.

You’ll need a medical certificate from a registered medical practitioner and you’ll also need to make a statutory declaration. For more information and to apply, see our Life-Shortening Congenital Conditions Withdrawal Guide and Withdrawal Form.

The supervisor will determine whether you’re eligible for a life-shortening congenital conditions withdrawal.

If you make a life-shortening congenital conditions withdrawal you won’t be eligible for any Government contributions and your employer can stop their contributions.

For more information about withdrawal options 

See the guide and product disclosure statement for the scheme you belong to. 

What's next?

Call us

0800 736 034

Weekdays, 8am - 6pm


Talk to an ANZ financial adviser

0800 269 238


Weekdays, 8:30am - 5pm


Visit a branch

Call 0800 269 296 to make an appointment
Weekdays, 8am - 6pm

Find a branch


ANZ New Zealand Investments Limited ('ANZ Investments') is the issuer and manager of the ANZ KiwiSaver Scheme and the ANZ Default KiwiSaver Scheme (together, the 'schemes'). Important information is available under terms & conditions. Download the guide and product disclosure statement.

This material is for information purposes only. We recommend seeking financial advice about your situation and goals before getting a financial product. To talk to one of our team at ANZ, please call 0800 736 034, or for more information about ANZ’s financial advice service or to view our financial advice provider disclosure statement see