How KiwiBuild works
- Understand if KiwiBuild is for you – there are some criteria you will need to meet in order to be eligible.
- Register your interest with KiwiBuild - KiwiBuild will keep you updated on available homes.
- If you think you will buy soon, you can submit your application to pre-qualify for KiwiBuild. You will need a home loan pre-approval to pre-qualify.
- Confirm with your ANZ Home Loan Coach that the KiwiBuild properties you are interested in meet our lending and security criteria*
- If the home you want to buy is sold by direct sale, the developer or real estate agent will guide you through the process. If the home is being sold through a ballot you can enter the ballot through the KiwiBuild portal – here you will find a guide to walk you through the balloting process.
- If you’re successful in the ballot, talk to your lawyer and ANZ Home Loan Coach to confirm full loan approval before you sign an unconditional sale and purchase agreement.
- You’ll also need to pay a deposit to the KiwiBuild developer (usually 10% of the house price).
- Your ANZ Home Loan Coach will help you through the process of drawing down your home loan.
For more information, check out our First Home Buyer Handbook.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible you must:
- be a first home buyer or a ‘second chancer’ (have previously owned a home but no longer own one, and be in a similar financial position as a first home buyer)
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, or a resident visa holder who is ‘ordinarily resident in New Zealand’
- have income of no more than $120,000 for a single purchaser, or no more than $180,000 for more than 1 purchaser
- intend to own the home, or live in it as your main place of residence, for at least one year if the home is a studio or one-bedroom, or for at least three years if the home has two or more bedrooms.
Start the pre-approval process now with an ANZ Home Loan Coach:
*Before you enter a ballot, please tell us what type of property you’re looking to buy, so we can check whether it will meet our criteria or whether we need to reduce how much we will lend to you. For example, we’ll only lend up to 50% of an apartment’s value if the floor area is less than 45sqm (for one bedroom apartments), 55sqm (for two bedroom apartments), or 65sqm (for three bedroom apartments).